Venray Gold Cup Weekend Report

Dutch friend to F1 Stockcars Jeroen Janssen has written a short report of the Gold Cup Weekend (in between his mechanicing duties for H217 Ron Kroonder) which was run at Venray over the weekend Saturday 26th September and Sunday 27th September 2009.

Photo Paul Tully.

Photo Paul Tully.


Hi, it’s Saturday evening and I’m just back from Venray Raceway. It was a nice and sunny day of racing with a lot of stockcars and some very good racing in my opinion. The first heat, we saw the adopted Dutchman Gary Castell (H#247) take the win, followed by Ron Kroonder (H#217) in second place. There was also a big smash in the wall from Joep Hendriks (H#365)¬†and it didn’t end up very well. He was taken to hospital and I’ve heard that he has some broken ribs and an broken elbow, they have operated on him,so I wish him from this point a speedy recovery.

Photo: Paul Tully

Photo: Paul Tully

Heats 2 and 3 also produced some very good racing and with some good battles between some drivers; but there was one man who played with the others and was definitely the quickest man on track,and that was Ron Kroonder. He was flying through the field from the back to the front and took the 2nd and 3rd heat in those heats.

The Final was the last race of the day and I thought it a good race with a lot of bumperwork going on. This race was for the Proflex cup, which was won by Dave van Haarlem (H219) with a steady run, and he took the nice big trophy.The runner up was Ron Kroonder who worked himself through the field with some good bumperwork,but he just couldn’t catch Dave van Haarlem.

After all a really good day of racing I am looking forward to tomorrow, hopefully the English drivers arrive in time.

Jeroen mechanics for Ron Kroonder and this is a brief run down of what followed Saturdays meeting.

We took the gearbox out from Kroonder’s car, because there was some synchrony ring broken from the first gear. We will fix this overnight but unlikely be able to fit it until tomorrow. Other than that we have just done basic running repairs to the car, so hopefully it is fine for the big one (Gold Cup) on Sunday.


Again it was a really nice and very hot day today. Frankie Wainman Jnr and Daniel Wainman got here at about nine this morning. They managed to get some practice time and a few laps in and were able to make some adjustments to their cars.

Photo Paul Tully.

Photo Paul Tully.

Early this morning we were building the gearbox back together, which we took apart yesterday. After we had finished and refitted it, Ron went for a quick practice. Lucky for us, Ron was happy with the car so we left it as it was, only needing to do the normal pre-race checks. Then it was waiting for the big one, a feeling you both love and hate.

Photo: Colin Casserley

Photo: Colin Casserley

Photo Paul Tully.

Photo Paul Tully.

Finally they lined up with Louw Wobbes (H#22) and Ron Kroonder(H#217) having a good start from the front. Ron overtook Wobbes I think it was in lap 2. At the same time there was a big pile up in the 2nd corner, Daniel putting his bumper in and shoved a couple cars wide. Michel van Haarlem (H61) was against the armco head-on and brought the yellows out.

After the restart Ron drove away and never looked back. He was the star of the day and by far the quickest car on track. For the second place there was a nice battle later on between Dave Schaap (H#007) and Frankie Wainmain (UK#515). Dave had a problem with his car and it was leaking oil; Frankie was getting closer and closer, but Dave held his place till the end, with Frankie on his back bumper.

Photo Colin Casserley.

Photo Colin Casserley.

I went to the infield to celebrate with Ron and Dave. Ron said he heard something wrong in the gearbox or something so we will be stripping it down tonight, to look for the problem. Frankie’s car and helmet was sprayed with oil from Dave’s car. Back in the pits we took everything apart and there was a problem with the gearbox, so we were really lucky it survived the final. Unfortunately we couldn’t fix it by the end of the day, as is always the way there were other problems we found on the way, so Ron didn’t raced in the second heat and the final.

The second race was won by Willie Peeters (H#24) just ahead of Henk Jan Ronitz (H#240). There was some nice close racing in that heat. The Final saw a reduced field as a lot of cars were out because they had damage or mechanical troubles; but despite that it was a really exciting final to watch and there were some scarey hits in the wall the first of which was Ivan Pritchard (UK#434).

After that Gosse Hoekstra (H#44) hit the wall really hard, and after the second restart Keith Murdock (#175) went in really hard. Gary Castell had the lead in the race, since the restarts, and he went really well in that final to take the race win. So a well deserved win for Gary and his team, Henk jan Ronitz took second. After all the problems with Venray this year it was a really good day of racing.

Jeroen Janssen (H217 Mechanic)

Photo Paul Tully.

Photo Paul Tully.

Facebook Network:

What is this?

Latest Posts
Stoke, 31st March 2018 - Meeting Report and Photo Gallery
Stoke, 31st March 2018 – Meeting Report and Photo Gallery
Apr 6, 2018

Stuart Smith Junior dominated at Stoke.

Skegness, 30th March 2018 - Photo Gallery
Skegness, 30th March 2018 – Photo Gallery
Apr 4, 2018

Kyle Gray took his first final win at a wet Good Friday at Skegness in only his second F1 meeting

King's Lynn, 24th March 2018 - Meeting Report and Photo Gallery
King’s Lynn, 24th March 2018 – Meeting Report and Photo Gallery
Apr 3, 2018

Mark Sargent took the meeting final at the first visit to King’s Lynn.

Belle Vue, 18th March 2018 - Photo Gallery
Belle Vue, 18th March 2018 – Photo Gallery
Mar 24, 2018

Photo gallery from the season opener at Belle Vue

OUT NOW: Season Review 2017
OUT NOW: Season Review 2017
Mar 1, 2018

Read excerpts from the new Season Review 2017 book

Flashback Friday: Skirmishes at Skegness
Flashback Friday: Skirmishes at Skegness
Feb 23, 2018

As the World Final is Skegness this year, Flashback Friday takes a look at past action from the East coast stadium

Flashback Friday: 2003 British at Belle Vue
Flashback Friday: 2003 British at Belle Vue
Feb 9, 2018

Flashback Friday goes back to 2003 when the British was held at the current Belle Vue for the first time.

Flashback Friday: GB's First Ever Team Champs
Flashback Friday: GB’s First Ever Team Champs
Feb 2, 2018

With the NZ Team Championships this weekend, Flashback Friday takes a look back to the first time the GB Lions entered the competition back in 2009.

Track Photography