Coventry – November 6th 2010 Meeting Report

The Coventry promoted National Points Shootout finale meeting saw over sixty cars make the journey including the long distance traveller of Dutch driver Rob Hink (H46). Geoff Nickolls (215) had suffered engine problems with his own machine and was using Adam Slater’s (214) ‘for sale’ car. Tom Harris was out for probably his final 2010 appearance before heading to New Zealand at the end of November to compete, including in their equivalent Under 25s Championship. It would be a creditable achievement if Tom could be successful in both.

The Whites and Yellows heat was first up with a large field of twenty eight cars taking to the track including Dave Riley (422) in his second ever F1 stock appearance and Ian Brickley in his second re-appearance of 2010. Steven Harrison (118) also made his first meeting of 2010 after a year’s lay off. Rich Masterson (103) and Richard Bryan (238) formed the first row with novice Riley starting at the rear of the field. Rob Farrell (470) gave Masterson a shove, sending him wide to take up the running, followed swiftly by Bryan. Steve Harrison wiggled down the backstraight as a group of white tops piled into turn three, failed to make the bend and clattered into the armco in a heap. Up the other end, Richard Bryan and Tim Warwick (307) tangled with Warwick spinning to the infield and Bryan getting back straight in the race. Yellow flags came out soon after for a stranded Steve Malkin snr (208) who looked a bit out of sorts. Restart order: 470, 238, 307, 149, 103, 98, 246…. At the green, Farrell shot off again while behind Les Spencer (98) gave Rich Masterson a big shove with Garry Townsend (223) in his own tustle for position, getting on the rear on Spencer with Masterson clipping the armco.

BriSCA F1 stock car Rob Farrell 470. Photo Colin Casserley

At the half waypoint, Richard Bryan had reeled in and overhauled Farrell for the lead with not long after, the yellow flags being shown again for a stranded Garry Townsend who had gone sideways at the bottom of the backstraight ending his race in the fence. Restart order: 238, 470, 98, 149, 330, 428, 246…. At the restart, Spencer flew by Farrell with Farrell then being side by side with Marc Radforth (149) as Mick Rogers (244) barged passed Rob Cowley (73). Radforth went into turn one too hot, sending himself skidding out to meet the fence while Spencer continued reeling in leader Bryan whose lead had been drastically curtailed by the yellows. Bryan set about going into each bend with his back end wide, making life difficult for the second place Spencer. Les Spencer went in on Bryan on the last bend, but Bryan expected it and capably held him off, going on to win the Coventry Whites and Yellows Championship.
238 – 98 – 470 – 428 – 330 – 246 – 73 – 244 – 103 – 353

BriSCA F1 stock car Coventry Whites and Yellow Championship winner Richard Bryan 238. Photo Colin Casserley

Heat two soon followed with the first appearance of the night for six of the Shootout competitors including Andy Smith (1) and Frankie Wainman jnr (515). Marc Radforth and Rich Masterson made up the front row with Murray Harrison (97) being the sole red top in front of the shootout drivers. At the green, all eyes were to the rear of the field as first Tom Harris (84) then Craig Finnikin (55) broke clear with Harris dropping back to fight it out with Wainman jnr and Danny Wainman (212). Andy Smith made sharp progress, sticking the bumper into Finnikin to fly past with the yellow flags soon being shown for Mike Williamson (111) who had come to grief, finishing backwards in the fence. Restart order: 246, 149, 73, 306, 103, 137, 380, 215…. Andy Smith got straight into the car in front Joe Booth (446), letting Craig Finnikin slip passed but it was not long before Smith was snapping at his heels. In the melee at the back as Tom Harris got ahead of Frankie Wainman, Wainman jnr was turned around while Finnikin and Booth momentarily became hooked up together. On getting free, Finnikin went in with a hefty hit on Booth to shove him aside. Yellow flags flew soon after for a stationary Danny Wainman on the start of the backstraight on the exit of turn two. Leader Ian Brickley led them away again with lap down Wainman jnr being behind second place Marc Radforth.
246 – 97 – 1 – 149 – 380 – 306 – 291 – 84 – 73 – 463 – 288 – 215

BriSCA F1 stock car Ian Brickley 246. Photo Colin Casserley

Wainman went in on Radforth but in the ensuing press of cars Wainman suffered a flat OSR and was forced to retire to the infield. Dutch visitor Rob Hink (H46) was also forced to retire with a completely flat tyre, and pulled to the infield spraying sparks. Michael Scriven (12) laid into Booth as Andy Smith got stuck into Murray Harrison (97) in the ex-Smith car before moving onto Radforth. Harrison was not settling for this, and got straight back into Smith, with Smith holding him off but Harrison redoubled his efforts, flying into attack and sending Smith out to connect with Marc Radforth. Smith got straight back into into Harrison, giving him a hefty punt fencewards. Harrison coolly rode the fence, coming out ahead of Smith to take second place behind Ian Brickley who had kept out of trouble to take the chequered flag unimpeded.
246 – 97 – 1 – 149 – 380 – 306 – 291 – 84 – 73 – 463 – 288 – 215

Two of Andy Smith's cars side by side fighting for position. Photo Colin Casserley

Heat three saw the rest of the Shootout drivers take to the track with Scott Davids (462) and Ed Neachell (321) positioned just in front. On the first lap Davids got turned around, with Neachell and Luke Davidson (464) piling in with the rest of the Shootout managing to avoid getting involved with the incident. Unfortunately, avoiding trouble was not to last as John Lund (53) got hooked up on Paul Hines (259) front end as the two went down the backstraight locked together, losing valuable time as Danny Ford (138) tasted the turn three armco with Dan Johnson (4) clattering in as well. On restarting himself, Ford spun round on turn one while Hines, after his tangle with Lund, had a quick Neil Shenton (35) tapping on his rear bumper. Matt Newson’s (16) night did not get off to a good start, being forced to pull off to the turn two armco in the early stages. Dave Willis (337) had moved himself swiftly into the lead near the commencement of the race but had Ryan Harrison (197) bearing down on him and was soon overhauled.

Tim Warwick ended up sideways at the apex of one and two until Hines came racing round and bashed into him, leaving Warwick perched on the edge of the infield while Hines continued on. Neil Shenton took in a spin and was soon accompanied by Luke Davidson and Barry Heath (343). At the front, Ryan Harrison calmly moved a lap down Ed Neachell aside and began to pull away from second placed Willis who soon had Mick Rogers (244) on his tail. Paul Harrison (2) was up on Paul Hines giving him the bumper to move up the order while up ahead, John Lund came up behind Neil Scriven (11) and gave him a big shove, sending him out to connect with Luke Dennis (192) with Dennis going fenceward bound. Ryan Harrison went on to take the flag well ahead of second place Rogers.
197 – 244 – 337 – 53 – 2 – 11 – 259 – 4 – 335 – 121 – 158 – 138

BriSCA F1 stock car Heat and Final winner Ryan Harrison 197. Photo Colin Casserley

Consolation time again saw six Shootout competitors take to the track, for their last chance to qualify for the final. Steven Harrison was pushed off before the start leaving Steve Dodds (115) and Rob Harrad (258) to make up the front row and lead them away. At the green, Luke Davidson got straight into Danny Wainman, soon followed by Wainman punting Ed Neachell. Joe Booth and Chris Brocksopp (338) tangled down the backstraight as Frankie Wainman jnr drove round the outside of brother Danny on turn two and sent Craig Finnikin up to the fence at the other end. Joe Booth went up and over Nigel Friswell (353) on turn two with an unsighted Steve Dodds coming round the bend, and clattering into the stationary Friswell car, with Friswell being knocked about before the yellows were shown. Matt Newson’s night was not improving, as he was forced to pull off again, leaving his only point scoring opportunity, the Grand National.

Restart order: 258, 208, 307, 223, 446, 115, 515, 55, 212…. At the green, Malkin snr was straight on leader Harrad as further back, Finnikin was on Wainman jnr. Finnikin barged past Wainman jnr as the two jostled before Finnikin pulled ahead and started charging to the front. As the race progressed, Garry Townsend stuck his bumper into Wainman jnr, shortly followed by Townsend getting the bumper from Danny Wainman. Joe Booth and Danny Wainman then came to blows as Booth took Wainman to the fence on turns one and two and Wainman hared down the backstraight and returned the favour on turn three with Wainman coming out in front of Frankie Wainman jnr slowing him slightly. Craig Finnikin overhauled leader Harrad who had been having a good run out front as the laps ran down. Even though he drove through the field, second place Wainman jnr was unable to get near enough to Finnikin before the flag.
55 – 515 – 446 – 258 – 464 – 307 – 462 – 191 – 137 – 208 – nof
Ed Neachell was removed from the results for unlapping himself.

BriSCA F1 stock car Consolation winner Craig Finnikin 55. Photo Colin Casserley

An impressive fireworks display was next, culminating in a fast and furious crescendo, one hopefully to be soon replicated in the meeting final’s on track action. Thirty five cars came out for the final with the tension being palatable, with fifty points up for grabs for the final winner and it was still all to play for with Frankie Wainman jnr being only twenty one points behind leader Andy Smith. At the green, Marc Radforth got straight into action to take up the running and started setting about creating distance between himself and the rest of the field while at the rear Craig Finnikin and Paul Harrison tangled on the first bend and Andy Smith tangled up the homestraight with Murray Harrison in the charge to the front. John Lund was immediately on top of Scott Davids as Frankie Wainman jnr sent Tom Harris out to connect with Dan Johnson with Wainman jnr and Harris getting hooked up together as they continued their tustle. Unfortunately for Frankie, he baded his Shootout hopes farewell as in the kerfuffle he suffered serious tyre failure and was forced to retire to the infield.

BriSCA F1 stock cars Tom Harris 84 and Frankie Wainman jnr 515 come to grief. Photo Colin Casserley

Heat winner Ian Brickley’s race also came to a rough end when he connected heavily with the armco at the top of the backstraight and the yellows were required. Restart order: 149, 158, 307, 197, 288, 53, 121, 291, 380, 215, 11….. At the restart Marc Radforth led them away as Dan Johnson pulled to the infield for a moment and Paul Harrison stuck the bumper into Andy Smith. Paul Hines bumpered Danny Ford aside to take his place, trying to make his way to the front but it was not to be long before Andy Smith was on his heels and soon cutting passed. The yellow flags were soon shown for a stranded Tim Warwick on the racing line who needed to be tractored to the infield. Restart order: 149, 197, 53, 288, 158, 380, 291, 335… With the field bunched up, the drivers got straight into action with Paul Hines bumpering Kevin Shinn (121) towards Andy Smith. This was soon followed by Finnikin thumping Hines out into Shinn. Upfront, Ryan Harrison reeled in Radforth to take the lead, soon followed by a swift Steve Cayzer (380). The activity continued further back, with Hines and Finnikin tustling for position down the backstraight with the lurking Paul Harrison taking full advantage and sliding by while the two were preoccupied with each other.

BriSCA F1 stock car Steve Cayzer 380. Photo Colin Casserley

Andy Smith continued his fine run, bumpering Mark Woodhull (335) aside to put more space between himself and the battle behind. Craig Finnikin, Paul Harrison and Mark Woodhull jostled with each other exchanging hits with Finnikin and Woodhull laying into Harrison and Woodhull getting the bumper from Craig Finnikin. As they charged up the field Paul Hines dropped back and received a hit from Murray Harrison just as Andy Smith tackled Marc Radforth before speeding on to overhaul Cayzer. Ryan Harrison went onto take the win but Andy Smith was still being signalled the winner untiil Ryan went up to the box and the result was rectified via the manual lapscorers meaning Ryan Harrison took only his second final win after driving a mature, composed race.
197 – 1 – 380 – 335 – 55 – 288 – 97 – 259 – 463 – 11 – 215 – 53

BriSCA F1 stock car Andy Smith (1) overhauls Marc Radforth (149). Photo Colin Casserley

The last race of the night, the Grand National saw over twenty cars take to the track with Tom Harris going back to the pits before slotting back into position on the grid. Ryan Harrison took up his final winner’s position just ahead of Rob Farrell and Richard Bryan. At the green, Richard Bryan led them away in the rain, but was soon overcome by Blue grade Mark Woodhull. Andy Smith started his race by firing Paul Hines into John Lund while Craig Finnikin narrowly avoided an out of shape Rob Hink. Smith continued his mission frontwards punting Dan Johnson into the turn two armco where he was soon joined by Mike Williamson (111). The yellow flags were then shown for Tony Smith who had ended up in the fence in the slick conditions. Dan Johnson got back into the race, dropping back to be behind Scott Davids who had Smith just in front. Leader Woodhull led them away while Wainman jnr thumped Paul Hines and Scott Davids put himself out of the race.

Michael Scriven and Andy Smith tangled with each other while Paul Harrison gave Wainman jnr a shove but was was initially unsuccesful. Harrison went in again, this time with more force, sending Wainman jnr out into the sludge and down the order. Ryan Harrison had benefited from the caution but soon came under attack from Smith who was dishing it out to all he came across. Tom Harris, always competent in the wet had driven well to get up behind leader Woodhull with Woodhull holding him off but not for long, as Harris sent him into a spin. Craig Finnikin had purposefully manoeuvred his way into second place after another determined drive. To show his complete control of the sport, Andy Smith shoved Wainman jnr wide on the last bend, before going onto take the glory of the National Points title 2010.
84 – 55 – 288 – 259 – 2 – 53 – 1 – 335 – 197 – 515

After some commendable driving, Craig Finnikin jumped up the National Points Shootout placings to take a deserved second place with Paul Hines claiming the third spot. Frankie Wainman jnr after an unlucky night, found himself relegated from second to fourth. Andy Smith’s BriSCA F1 stock car domination continues with him now being the World Champion, the National Points Champion and also the Grading Points Champion for 2010.

BriSCA F1 National Points Champion 2010 stock car driver Andy Smith with wife Lisa. Photo Colin Casserley

Ailsa Haigh

Facebook Network:

What is this?

Latest Posts
Behind the Scenes: Bryan Makinson
Behind the Scenes: Bryan Makinson
Oct 17, 2018

Bryan interviews drivers and broadcasts it to the stock car world via Facebook Live and YouTube!

Buxton, 30th September 2018 - Photo Gallery
Buxton, 30th September 2018 – Photo Gallery
Oct 13, 2018

Photo gallery from Buxton, where Will Hunter won the meeting final

King's Lynn, 22nd September 2018 - Meeting Report and Photos
King’s Lynn, 22nd September 2018 – Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 25, 2018

Tom Harris dominated the second round of the Shootout, while Jake Harrhy took his first and second F1 wins

Northampton, 16th September 2018 - Meeting Report and Photos
Northampton, 16th September 2018 – Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 24, 2018

Lourenz de Vries took the World Masters final at Northampton

Northampton, 16th September 2018 - European Championship Race Report
Northampton, 16th September 2018 – European Championship Race Report
Sep 22, 2018

Tom Harris wins the 2018 European Championship.

Skegness, 15th September 2018 - Meeting Report and Photos
Skegness, 15th September 2018 – Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 21, 2018

Report and photos from the main meeting on World Final night at Skegness

World Final 2018, Skegness, 15th September 2018 - Race Report
World Final 2018, Skegness, 15th September 2018 – Race Report
Sep 20, 2018

Spoiler alert! – Stuart Smith wins second World Championship title.

Skegness, 14th September 2018 - Overseas Meeting Report and Photos
Skegness, 14th September 2018 – Overseas Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 19, 2018

Ron Kroonder took the final at the annual overseas drivers’ meeting

Track Photography

Recent Archives