Coventry – September 5th 2009 Meeting Report

Coventry – Saturday 5th September 2009

Heat One.
See Under 25’s Race Report.

Heat Two.
Twenty-two cars formed the grid for heat two that included two white grades; Dave Muckian (416) and Mike Andrews (220). Malcolm Ngatai (NZ#1) starting with the Yellow grades while Dale Ewers (NZ#2) opted to start within the Blue grades.
Mark Peters (231) spun on the opening rolling lap on turn four while Russell Cooper (415) took the early lead exiting the first turns. Malcolm Ngatai got it all wrong going into turn three making head on contact with the infield marker tyres, Robert Broome (41) being caught up with this incident. Simon Panton (288) appeared to be attempting to put a firm bumper hit onto Timmy Farrell (467) going into turn one; hitting the infield marker tyres at high speed and rolling spectacularly in mid-air landing square on his roof. Waved Yellows.
Restart order: 416 – 220 – 337 – 215 – 121 – 380 – 467 – 21 – NZ2 – 391.
On the restart Mark Gilbank (21) wasted no time in attacking Timmy Farrell; pursuing him down the home straight, applying pressure round turns one and two. He then chased Farrell down the back straight, getting him wide entering turn three and moving in front, and also passing Steve Cayzer (380). Farrell chased and fired Cayzer into Gilbank going into turn one but unfortunately the spun-out car of Andrews (220) prevented Farrell from making any progress.
Next it was Andy Smith (391) and Mark Gilbank to do battle; Andy applying pressure and finally getting Gilbank wide going into turn three.
Dave Willis (337) was now race leader, and it was not long before lap down 220 was providing a nuisance to the 337 car. A little further down the pack, John Lund (53) and Murray Harrison (97) were engaging in their own battle often running side-by-side down the straights.
Up front, Willis began to make his way though the back markers, moving Robert Broome off the racing line going into three.
Racing order 337 – 391 – 21 – 215 – 380 – 53.
Willis again encountering the lap(s) down car of 220, who this time caused a major problem for Willis by spinning out in front of the 337 car. Willis having to drastically brake to prevent hitting 220, giving Andy Smith the vital stroke of good luck he needed in catching the out front 337 car. Smith was now on the back bumper of Willis going down the back straight and attacked going into three. Gilbank sitting just behind; helped Smith on his way which resulted in the 337 and 391 cars becoming locked together and out of the race. Mark Gilbank then went on to to take the heat win unchallenged.
Result: 21 – 380 – 53 – 215 – 97 – 73 – 467 – 121 – 220 – NZ1

Photo Paul Tully.

Photo Paul Tully.

Heat Three.
The last of the heats saw twenty-eight cars, including four White grades, seven Yellows, eight Blues and seven Reds and Super-Stars with Scott Miers (NZ#8) racing within the yellow grades.
The opening lap saw Scott Davids (462) leading the charge from the Blue grades and firing NZ#8 into the Armco of turn one. On the second lap, Tim Warwick (307) gave Steve Harrison (118) a well time hit exiting two, spinning him round and off towards the Armco backwards.
Russell Cooper (415) was the early race leader as the Blue grades were fighting their way though the yellows. Dave Nickolls (242) attacked Warwick, Warwick half-spun, saved it and continued racing.
Stuart Smith (390) was T-Boned by Steve Harrison (118) on turns three and four as the yellows came out for a number of stranded cars around the raceway.
Restart order: 415 – 258 – 242 – 307 – 214 – 390 – 335 – 118 – 105
Stuart Smith made an early charge from the restart and was quickly racing side-by-side with 242 while Chris Brocksopp sent Adam Slater Armco bound when the race restarted. On pushing his car just a little too hard, Tim Warwick over cooked going into turn one, the back end swinging out; being just able to save it. Andy Ford (13) and Joff Gibson (249) were engaging in their own battle as Mal Brown (34) was spun out by Les Spencer (98) on turns three and four; claiming the 249 car as well. Frankie Wainman was now comfortably out in front. Scott Miers (NZ#8) was making things a little difficult for the race leaders as they had to hit-to-pass before he became T-Boned by Nickolls (242) on the last lap while Wainman took the win unchallenged.
Result: 515 – 2 – 259 – 34 – 390 – 242 – 249 – 98 – 35 – 105

Photo Colin Casserley.

Photo Colin Casserley.

Twenty-five cars gridded for the consolation; five White grades, seven Yellows, eight Blues which included Dale Ewers (NZ#2) and three Reds with Liam Brown (90) and Mark Allen (301) opting to start at the very rear. Lee Dimmick (459) on his debut F1 shale meeting again didn’t get off to the best of starts as he became T-Boned by NZ#2 on the opening lap. On the second lap the White graders were battling hard against each other 118 – 415 – 258 all having a ding-dong that saw Rob Harrod veer off to the Armco, and Russell Cooper spinning. Next to spin was Ike Parkinson (254) exiting turn two. Jim Bamford (302) launched a big attack onto the rear of Richard Bryan (238) going into turn one, spinning the 238 car.
Mark Woodhull (335) overcooked turns one and two, making contact with Lenny Smith (185) exiting two and putting both cars out of control as they went down the back straight. Jim Bamford ended up hitting the weaving car of Lenny Smith but all cars were able to keep racing. Mike Williamson (111) was the race leader with Steve Harrison (118) making up the ground in second place. Harrison (118) launched his attack onto race leader Williamson going into turn one, the Williamson car being sent off and connecting with the parked 307 car of Tim Warwick. Mark Williamson’s car suffered major offside nerf damage that brought an end to his race.
Super-Star Mat Newson (16) was really having to work his way though the field; having a good battle with Jim Bamford. Mat moving Bamford wide entering three to take the place, with Chris Brocksopp followed Newson past Bamford on the inside.
With the lap boards out, Harrison was leading the field but now encountering the back markers with the 258 car of Rob Harrod proving to be tricky customer. Harrison resorted to nerfing the 258 car going into turn one which only slowed the 118 car further, allowing Mark Peters (231) to pass him. 118 gave chase down the backstraight launching his own attack going into three which saw both cars going sideways and allowing the lap down Dan Squire (291) to get closer, with Squire wasting no time in firing Harrison into the rear of Peters. This move saw Peters spin while Harrison got himself sharply back into the race. This melee of attacks brought the 322 car of James Neachell into play, with 291 – 118 – 322 all being bumper to bumper down the straights and attacking going into the turns. Neachell being able to move in front of Steve Harrison (118) following a productive last bend attack.
Result: 322 – 118 – 11 – 16 – 338 – 302 – 498 – 231 – 91 – 13

A full grid of thirty-four cars lined up for the meeting final of which Two White graders had qualified; ten Yellows that included Malcolm Ngatai (NZ#1), eight Blues and sixteen Reds and Super Stars that included newly regraded 249 – 446 – 97 and 73.
On the opening lap, Steve Harrison (118) wasted no time in doing away with Mike Andrews (220) spinning him exiting turn two with Malcolm Ngatai connecting with Andrews. This was not swift enough for Harrison, and yellow grade Ryan Harrison (197) was quick to take the lead. Les Spencer (98) was T-Boned on three and four by Geoff Nickolls (215) with Daniel Wainman (212) and Matt Newson (16) running into the T-Boned cars. This incident was quickly replaced by Stuart Smith (390) mounting the bonnet of the spun car of Tom Harris (84) with Frankie Wainman Jnr (515) being on the back bumper of Stuart. This now huge track blockage also saw Paul Harrison (2) getting T-Boned by Michael Scriven (12) as they attempted to avoid the melee of cars. Waved Yellows were called for with the restart order being: 197 – 118 – 302 – 322 – 54 – 97 – 467 – 321 – 107 – 34.
Back markers proved a problem for race leaders; first 118 encountering difficulties with 220, then race leader Ryan Harrison being taken onto the infield with James Clement (158) exiting turn two. Ryan sped across the infield to rejoin the race on turns three and four only to apparently stall his car as he rejoined the track and took a hit from behind from his father Murray (97).
Jim Bamford (302) was now the race leader with James Neachell (322) in second place; with the lap boards out, Neachell had taken the lead and Lee Robinson (107) was applying pressure to second place Bamford. Bamford and Robinson going side-by-side down the back straight with Robinson taking the place exiting four.
In the closing stages Steve Harrison’s (118) top ten placing was coming under attack first from Dan Johnson (4) and then Frankie Wainman Jnr. Laps down Mike Andrews (220) claimed another victim before the chequered flag this time spinning in front of Michael Scriven (12) on turns one and two.
Result: 322 – 107 – 97 – 302 – 4 – 515 – 242 – 338 – 446 – 259

Photo Paul Tully.

Photo Paul Tully.

Grand National.
Thirty-three cars came out for the last race of the evening with final Winner James Neachell opting to take the lap handicap. Lenny Smith opened the race attacking and spinning Chris Bonner (105). Timmy Farrell (467) attacked Joe Booth (446) going into two as Frankie Wainman Jnr was spun. Farrell kept on the back bumper of Booth unleashing a huge attack going into turn one with Farrell taking the place. The following lap, Farrell attacked and passed Paul Hines (259) only to become tangled with the stationary car of Tom Harris (84) parked towards the curb at the mid-way point of the turns. Farrell’s hopes of getting freed disappeared as a following car hit the rear of the 467 car, bursting the outside rear tyre.
Stuart Smith was next to be putting in the big hits for places going into turn one; first coming down on the Dan Squire (291) car. Then on the following lap, Mark Woodhull feeling the force of the 390 bumper.
Andy Ford (13) and Richard Bryan (238) became locked on the home straight while Paul Hines (259) attacked and moved Ed Neachell (321) going into three. The bumpers were flying in all over the track.
I guess the race order tobe something like 380 – NZ#1 – 254 – 390 – 259 – 321 as the lap boards were shown.
Ike Parkinson (254) who was going well, required Stuart Smith to use his bumper to move him wide around turns three and four.
Malcolm Ngatai who had got to grips with the older Richard Earl car began to make his presence be known to leader Steve Cayzer (380) in the closing laps, but was unable to pass the race leader.
Result: 380 – NZ#1 – 390 – 259 –254 – 16 – 335 – 53 – 2 – 249

Stephen Cording

Facebook Network:

What is this?

Latest Posts
Behind the Scenes: Bryan Makinson
Behind the Scenes: Bryan Makinson
Oct 17, 2018

Bryan interviews drivers and broadcasts it to the stock car world via Facebook Live and YouTube!

Buxton, 30th September 2018 - Photo Gallery
Buxton, 30th September 2018 – Photo Gallery
Oct 13, 2018

Photo gallery from Buxton, where Will Hunter won the meeting final

King's Lynn, 22nd September 2018 - Meeting Report and Photos
King’s Lynn, 22nd September 2018 – Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 25, 2018

Tom Harris dominated the second round of the Shootout, while Jake Harrhy took his first and second F1 wins

Northampton, 16th September 2018 - Meeting Report and Photos
Northampton, 16th September 2018 – Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 24, 2018

Lourenz de Vries took the World Masters final at Northampton

Northampton, 16th September 2018 - European Championship Race Report
Northampton, 16th September 2018 – European Championship Race Report
Sep 22, 2018

Tom Harris wins the 2018 European Championship.

Skegness, 15th September 2018 - Meeting Report and Photos
Skegness, 15th September 2018 – Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 21, 2018

Report and photos from the main meeting on World Final night at Skegness

World Final 2018, Skegness, 15th September 2018 - Race Report
World Final 2018, Skegness, 15th September 2018 – Race Report
Sep 20, 2018

Spoiler alert! – Stuart Smith wins second World Championship title.

Skegness, 14th September 2018 - Overseas Meeting Report and Photos
Skegness, 14th September 2018 – Overseas Meeting Report and Photos
Sep 19, 2018

Ron Kroonder took the final at the annual overseas drivers’ meeting

Track Photography

Recent Archives